Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The Morphing of My Word for the Year 2015

I started my year in 2015 with a full plate.  The year before was an over-the-top year!  Work was magnified by a commute, a huge need for written curriculum and generous consulting opportunities.  Major family issues added to the mix...all leaving me gasping for air.   I entered the year needing space...needing a focus on me.  From this space my word for the year emerged and with that emergence it has morphed as the year continued.  On January 1 the word I chose was "Me".  I wanted...I needed a focus on me.  I needed to find that place where I existed outside of the confines of all that was being asked of me.

As the year continued my word changed from "Me" to "Spaciousness".  I began to create white space in my life.  Space that was mine.  Like an empty plate that welcomed food but not one overwhelmed with mounds of mindless choices, I chose to focus on the container which was the base.  The plate of me created white space.  I chose the portions and the tastings of my life in a way that allowed for me to emerge.  The stuff of my life was chosen and placed on my container with focus on the white space that existed between each choice.  An intention on spaciousness served me well.

Then this summer my word morphed again.  Living within the confines of spaciousness created desire to live my life more fully.  More vulnerably.  More lively.  My word changed from "Spaciousness" to "Open-hearted".  My heart became open to me and was opening to others in ways that I hadn't realized was closed.  I found love.  I found heart break.  I found an aliveness that comes from risking for love.  For me.  For another.

And now, with an open heart this year is coming to a close.  I started my year with a full plate and am ending it in the very same way.  This year was an over-the-top year once again.  Work, which taps my creativity and my desire to give back, continues to demand my best.  Family illness has taken a toll.  But somehow, I am different.  I have morphed from needing to claim me, to needing to create space for me, to living in the world with an open-heart.  Open to me and open to the circumstances that I encounter with a desire to respond to those circumstances with compassion and clarity.  Open to the possibilities to love and be loved.  Open to finding love in the eyes of a child, the eyes of a friend, the eyes of a stranger, the eyes of self, the eyes of a lover.   A me year.  A spacious year.  An open-hearted year.  A very good year indeed!



Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for dedicating space and time for teachers and teachers of literacy to come together to share ideas, practice and life experience.



16 comments:

  1. Glad for the way the word morphed and you changed along with it. Happy New Year and new OLW for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my word for 2015 was really "Morph". Thanks for your comments and Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  2. Well said! It also sounds like a year of reflection for you - morph in this case seems to mean growth as well - Best wishes for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment that morph means growth. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a great year! Best wishes for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A truly beautiful year and lovely the way you flowed with it with grace! Here's to 2016 and all that it has to offer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. I am running...no sprinting to happiness in the new year!

      Delete
  5. Loved your post! It sounds like you've ended your year on a high note! Congrats! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you! I'm stopping over from A Slice of Life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lisa. What a great writing community we have!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a great year! Best wishes for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written, Deb. I loved how you were able to follow and embrace the path that appeared and moved onto it so willingly. Some might have faltered, but it sounds as if you were content to let it happen. That's inspiring! I hope your Christmas is merry and bright, leading into a marvelous new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wisdom shines through, Linda. I hope you have a Merry Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you didn't have to stay with the one word -- and in reflecting on my OLW I saw how much I grew over the year, into a happier, more loving version of Me. Now I am excited to think about 2016 OLW, without it having to stay the same for all 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that this inspired you. This is the first year that my word changed. It was a natural change as my intent and focus also developed. Good luck to you as you think about your 2016 word.

      Delete
  10. I love this thoughtful reflection of the path you took with your OLW through 2015. What a lovely journey! Your thoughts on creating white space were meaningful. Wishes for a wonderful and relaxing Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Open hearted indeed. That is you. Here's to an equally rich 2016! xoxo

    ReplyDelete